title image | the website for Bath's Heritage Plaques | City Wall and Burial Ground

City Wall and Burial Ground

What is it?

The city walls of Bath date from the fourth century, but were repaired and rebuilt throughout the medieval period. They were 10 ft (3 metres) wide at their base and over 20 ft (6 metres) high. They served to defend the city until after the Civil War. This section was quite accurately restored in the late 19th century. It survived because the burial ground for the Mineral Water Hospital lay just outside it (see below) [Forsyth 2003

Where is it in Bath?

This section is on Upper Borough Walls - this is the view from the road side (at rampart level):
Location of plaque on reconstructed City Wall

City Wall plaque

The text reads

"Part of the Mediaeval Wall of the City of Bath."

This is the view from the other side of the wall:

Location of plaque on Burial Ground alongside City Wall

Plaque at Burial Ground

The text reads

This piece of ground was in the year 1736 set apart for the burial of patients dying in the Bath General Hospital and after receiving 238 bodies was closed by the governors of that charity in the year 1849, from regard to the health of the living."

Location map of plaques:
City Wall plaque location map

Another, original, section of the wall is on Old Orchard Street.

Watch a video tour of the line of the City Wall on YouTube at this link


| Contents | About  Home |

(c) 2012 | Contact us|