What is it?
Cleveland Bridge was built for the Duke of Cleveland on the site of an
ancient ferry crossing. "It is one of the finest late Georgian bridges
in Greek Revival style, combining the antique with expressive use of
new materials" [Forsyth 2003
Where is it in Bath?
The bridge carries the main A36 road over the River Avon upstream from Pulteney Bridge
. There are three
plaques on the inside of the northern balustrade:
There are three more plaques afixed to the inside
of the southern balustrade:
The text of the SW Plaque reads
"The original bridge was purchased by the City Council in 1925
Cedric Chivers, J.P., Mayor.
J. Basil Ogden, M.A., LL. B., Town Clerk."
The text of the SE Plaque reads
"Freed from tolls on the 20th day of June, 1929, under the powers of
the Bath Corporation Act, 1925."
The text of the NE Plaque reads
F. P. Sissons M.Inst.M. & Cy.E., City Engineer. Lotz & Kier
The text of the NW Plaque reads
"Opened by the Most Hon. The Marquess of Bath, K.G.,
Honorary Freeman of this city
in the time of Aubrey Bateman, Mayor.
20th June, 1929."
Adjacent to this plaque is a more recent Award plaque:
The Text reads:
"Bath Conservation Area Advisory Committee Environmental Award 1993"
Central Plaque (both sides):
The text of the Central Plaques (both sides) reads
"MDCCCXXVII (1827) H.E. Goodridge. Archt. W Hazeldine. Contr."
Location map of Cleveland Bridge:
Bath-Heritage.co.uk | Contact us|