What is it?
, completed in 1773, is a bridge that crosses the
. The bridge was designed by
Robert Adam, and is one of only four bridges in the world with shops
across the full span on both sides.
Where is it in Bath?
In 1768 William Johnstone Pulteney obtained a private Act of Parliament
permitting him, subject to the consent of the Bath Corporation, to
construct a bridge connecting Bath with the Bathwick estate, which had
been brought to him by his marriage to Frances Pulteney. The bridge
replaced the Bathwick ferry.
The plaque is fixed the river side of the south-western pavilion, which
was rebuilt in 1902-3 when Grand Parade was constructed. The pavilion
replaced three of the shops on the bridge as a result of which the
south side of the bridge is no longer symmetric about its centre.
The text reads
Architect Robert Adam
Location map of plaque:
Bath-Heritage.co.uk | Contact us|