What is it?
The Eastern Dispensary, built in 1845, was a charitable institution
where medical advice was given and medicines dispensed. The ground
floor had an ingenious in-out circulation pattern. Waiting rooms either
side of the central entrance had benches with each row attached
alternately to the opposite wall to ensure a strict zig-zag queueing
system. [Forsyth 2003
Where is it in Bath?
The Eastern Dispensary is on Cleveland Place East and is close to Cleveland Bridge
The text reads:
"In memorial of John Ellis, esq. formerly of Southwark and for many
years a resident in Bath, to whose persevering labours, and munificent
benefactions, this Dispensary mainly owed its erection and pecuniary
He died Octr. 31st, 1856, aged 86.
Erected July 1857"
Location map of Dispensary plaque:
Bath-Heritage.co.uk | Contact us|