What is it?
In 1705, Bath Corporation, advised by Dr Oliver
and other leading physicians, decided to build a Pump Room for the
convenience of those who came to drink the waters. The first Pump Room
was built in 1706 by John Harvey as a simple one-story building [Ison 1980
]. It was extended in 1751 but
rebuilt by Thomas Baldwin from 1790-3, and completed by John Palmer
after Baldwin's dismissal [Forsyth 2003
The Pump Room now houses a restaurant, but the Bath spring water can
still be tasted from the 'pump'.
Where is it in Bath?
The building in Abbey Churchyard in the centre of Bath:
The text reads
"Great Pump Room
Architects Thomas Baldwin (Exterior)
John Palmer (Interior)
Erected 1793 - 99"
Location map of plaque:
Bath-Heritage.co.uk | Contact us|