Queen Square - Francis Hotel
What is it?
is a square of Georgian
houses in the city of Bath. It was the first speculative development by
the architect John Wood, the Elder.
Where is it in Bath?
The south side consisted of houses 5 to 13. Wood lived in the centre
house (9) until his death in 1754. The Francis Hotel opened in number
10 in 1858, expanding into 6-9 and 11 by 1884 [Forsyth,
This tablet is fixed to the building on the south-east side of the
The text reads
"Four houses which stood here the work of Wood the Elder were
destroyed by enemy action on 27th April 1942 and rebuilding was
completed in 1953"
Location map of plaque:
See also the tablet on the gate posts to Queen Square Garden.
Bath-Heritage.co.uk | Contact us|