Lower Assembly Rooms
What was it?
was Bath's first assembly house "erected during 1708 by an unnamed
builder for Thomas Harrison, who had been encouraged by Beau Nash
to build the rooms as a profitable
speculation" [Ison 1980]
Where was it in Bath?
It stood on the east side of Terrace Walk overlooking Harrison's Walks
"a formal garden bordering the river which for many years was a
favoured resort of fashion" [Ison 1980]
was largely destroyed in a fire on December 21st 1820. It
was rebuilt to house the Bath Royal Literary Institution but was
finally demolished in 1933 as part of a road-widening scheme.
The plaque is fixed to the parapet above Parade Gardens, which occupy
the site of Harrison's Walks:
The text reads
"This tablet marks the site of Harrison's Assembly Rooms where
Richard (Beau) Nash presided as Master of Ceremonies 1708 - 1761
Here also stood 1823 - 1933 The Royal Literary and Scientific
Institution inaugurated by the poets Moore, Crabbe and Bowles
Now transferred to Queen Square"
Location map of plaque:
Bath-Heritage.co.uk | Contact us|