title image | the website for Bath's Heritage Plaques | North Parade Bridge

North Parade Bridge

What is it?

North Parade was built in 1740-48 by John Wood the elder as a summer promenade, ending with a viewpoint high above the river. Almost one hundred years later, it was extended across the river by the building of North Parade Bridge 1835-6.

Where is it in Bath?

The bridge is over the River Avon downstream from Pulteney Bridge:
Location of plaque at North Parade Bridge, north side Plaque 1 is affixed to the northern balustrade, looking towards Pulteney Weir:

North Parade Bridge north side plaque

The text of Plaque 1 reads

"Built by David Aust from the design and under the direction of W Tierney Clark Engineer AD 1836."

Location of plaque at North Parade Bridge, south side

Plaque 2 is fixed to the southern ballustrade:

North Parade Bridge south side plaque

The text of Plaque 2 reads

"City of Bath
North Parade Bridge
Rebuilt 1936-7
Opened to traffic by His Worship the Mayor Couoncillor W. F. Long July 1937
F.P. Sissons M. Inst. M & Cy. E., City Engineer
J. Basil Ogden, M.A., LL. B., Town Clerk"

Location map of plaques:
North Parade Bridge plaques location map



| Contents | About  Home |

(c) 2011 | Contact us|