"The tabletop tomb in this enclosure commemorates the novelist,
playwright and diarist Frances (Fanny) Burney (1752-1840) and
Alexander d'Arblay (1794-1837).
Frances Burney, who wrote the novels Evelina (1778), Cecilia
Camilla (1796) and The Wanderer (1814) and whose work influenced
Jane Austen, visited Bath in
and 1791. A plaque may be seen on 14
where she stayed in 1780 with Hester and Henry Thrale.
From 1815 to 1818 she lived at 23 Great Stanhope Street with
husband General Alexander d' Arblay (1752-1818), who is
remembered by a
wall memorial inside the church. His wife and son were buried
his grave in the mortuary chapel garden on the other side of
Street. Their original grave stones having fallen into
chest monument was erected by the Burney family in 1906, and
its present position by the church authorities in 1955.
This plaque was erected in 2005 by the Burney Society of Great
Britain, Canada and the United States and the descendants of the
The remains of Fanny Burney, her husband and her son, were
transferred to Haycombe Cemetery in Bath from the Walcot burial
when it was cleared for possible redevelopment. They are buried
the Rockery Garden on the western side of the cemetery - a stone
the area (http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/births-marriages-and-deaths/burials-and-cremations/cemeteries/haycombe-cemetery).
See the separate page at Haycombe
Cemetery Fanny Burney tablet.
Location map of Walcot church:
Bath-Heritage.co.uk | Contact us|