What are they?
The Josephine Vases are a pair of Cararra marble vases, a gift of
Napoleon Bonaparte to the Empress Josephine in 1805, brought from
France after the Peninsular War. The vases are set within Portland
stone aedicules [Forsyth 2003
Where are they in Bath?
The vases flank the Bandstand in Royal
and face the Royal
across Royal Avenue:
The text of each inscription reads:
"These Vases, the gift of Napoleon Buonaparte to the Empress
Josephine (1805), were brought from France after the Peninsular War by
Col. Page and bequeathed by the will of Joseph Fuller Esq. of 19
Lansdown Crescent (1874) to the Royal Victoria Park. They were restored
and protected by Capt. Ruth (1914)"
Location map of Josephine Vases:
Bath-Heritage.co.uk | Contact us|