What is it?
Until the Dissolution of the monestaries under Henry VIII, this was the
churchyard of the Bath priory. In 1572 it became a public open space,
being landscaped in the 1730s with gravel walks, formal planting and a
The name Orange Grove was adopted following the Prince of Orange's
visit to take the waters in 1734. Beau Nash
had the obelisk erected to commemorate the visit. [Forsyth 2003
Since World War II, the garden has been dedicated to the link between
the cities of Bath and Alkmaar in the Netherlands: Alkmaar Garden
Where is it in Bath?
Orange Grove is in the centre of Bath, adjacent to the east wall of Bath Abbey
A free-standing plaque stands near the
edge of the garden surrounding the obelisk:
The text reads
"This obelisk was erected in memory of the happy restoration of the
health of the Prince of Orange, through the favour of God and to the
great joy of Britain by drinking the Bath waters, 1734. Richard
Nash, Master of Ceremonies. (Inscribed on the base of the obelisk.)"
Location map of plaque:
Bath-Heritage.co.uk | Contact us|