What is it?
King's Circus, was designed by the
architect John Wood the Elder
he never lived to see his plans put into effect as he died less than
three months after the first stone was laid in 1754. It was left to his
son, John Wood the Younger
the scheme to his father's design by 1768.
Divided into three segments of equal length, the Circus is a circular
space surrounded by large townhouses. Each of the curved segments faces
one of the three entrances, ensuring that whichever way a visitor
enters there is a classical facade straight ahead.
Where is it in Bath?
The Circus is north of Queen Square
conected by Gay Street and east of the Royal
, connected by
This plaque is fixed to railings near the entrance from Bennett Street:
The text reads
Architects John Wood Senr & Jnr
Location map of plaque:
The Circus also contains plaques to
the following individuals who stayed there:
House 7: William Pitt the elder,
Earl of Chatham
House 9: Frederic, Lord Leighton
House 13: Dr David Livingstone
House 14: Robert, Lord Clive
House 22: Major John Andre
House 17: Thomas Gainsborough
House 27: Rear Admiral Sir William Edward Parry
Bath-Heritage.co.uk | Contact us|